Tuesday, January 23, 2007

More books

I haven't written anything in a while. I will blame the holidays, Riverside church, and an impossible 2000 piece jigsaw puzzle for the lack of posting. Although I haven't read a ton lately, I have read. For what it's worth...

1. One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez- a Noble Prize winner, and very deserving of the honor. I love when books span generations and can back up and show a bigger picture as this book beautifully accomplished. Another hit from my main man GGM. My next life project will be something related to him.

2. The World to Come, Dara Horn- This was a great book. I judged it by its cover, and was rewarded for my folly. Horn introduces us to three generations of a family and their relationship to a seemingly stolen Chagall painting. I loved it. It was full of unexpected and intriguing twists.

3. How We Are Hungry, Dave Eggers- I have never really been on the wagon of short stories, so I didn't just love this book. Maybe I'll give it another chance someday. It was entertaining, I just don't think I'm the type who "gets" short stories.

4. Memoirs of My Melancholy Whores, Gabriel Garcia Marquez- Another good one. An old man facing death looks back at his life and tries to get a little bit of lovin.

5. Cities of the Interior, Anias Nin- Nin is a tough cookie, but I've always been intrigued. This was a compilation of five of her novels into one. I am pretty versed on her real life, so it made the book more captivating to me. I thought it was dark, tough to read, but lovely. (I wish people said that about me.)

5 Comments:

Blogger poshiggity said...

mmm...I think you're dark. Where is Arkansas again? Isn't it some sort of exotic island or something?

11:15 PM  
Blogger Matt Blazer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:38 AM  
Blogger poshiggity said...

Cary Murphy, I've been thinking about you a lot lately. I'm not sure why, but you're sense of quiet and of true are missing in my life right now, and I wish I had you to re-energize me in that. Plus I read "into the wild" and I just finished "into thin air" and now I'm on to "under the banner of heaven." Traveling is good for reading, I've found.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Matt Blazer said...

Cary... I just never see you or hear from you...

Saw the amazing art you made for mark...

Wish you blogged... Or something...

9:47 AM  
Blogger Bailey Mohr said...

You really should get some pictures up of the more resent things happening in your life. Like.... The Baby! You shower was fun on Sunday! Hope you got lots of cool stuff!

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home