Tuesday, August 22, 2006

And Feel It Now



I spent some time with David Gray today. It's been a long time coming...I camped out with Ray LaMontagne for about a month and listened to R.E.M.'s "Nightswimming" on repeat for a couple of weeks. But back to my first love. Really. I'm one of those crazy music people who has violent opinions and severely judges people on their taste. I don't understand why everyone in the world can go about their every day without David Gray. Before him, my life seemed muddled, at best. If you don't love him, we need to talk about it--allow me to make you a cd--I can personalize David Gray mixes to inspire a multitude of personalities, circumstances, or events. It's an art form for me. He's one of those very few people...a man who it seems God put right on the earth to sing--just sing. His lyrics throw you into confusion between wanting to vomit because you can't believe someone reached so deep into the darkest chasms of your soul and ripped out all of the honesty that lies there and wanting to cry because he somehow made it all so beautiful. Maybe that's it...you can somehow find a beauty in what you didn't even know was there. It's, most of the time, more than I can handle, and I just cry along with every song. I don't know if I've ever made it through the likes of "Hold on to Nothing," "Slow Motion," or "Say Hello Wave Goodbye" with dry eyes. And who knows why I'm crying...is it remnants of my past I can't let go of? Is it the powerful music behind the lyrics? Is it just the same reason I cry when I stare at Chagall's American Windows? Who knows. That's why I love. It's a little of this, a little of that. Give him a shot. If you love him, I will think you are cooler. And you know you need it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Linz said...

Cary, I couldn't have said it better, I feel the same way... about Ray Stevens...

Judge away. I am not cool ;)

8:14 PM  
Blogger Mahndo said...

I'm with you every step of the way on this one, murphy

12:52 PM  
Blogger Bryson & Jill Marie VanCleve said...

"Drunken ferry boat woman
Swayin' on your sea
If I turn on the gasfire
By the rain rattled window
Won't you sail over to me"

keep sayin' what you have to say David Gray. You make the world a better place.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home